- 1 oz butter
- 1 lb green tomatoes, sliced
- 8 oz potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 pints stock
- 1 tin beans like barlotti/pinto/cannellini (I used the equivalent in dry lentils - around 1/2 mugful)
- 1/4 tsp dried sage/thyme/mixed herbs/whatever (I used 1/4 tsp sage & 1/4 tsp mixed herbs, 1 bay leaf)
- salt and pepper (JUST ADD PEPPER! My soup was too salty - forgot the stock has salt in it)
- a handful of rice (I used easy-cook brown - 1/2 a mugful)
- 125 ml single cream or a splash of chilli sauce (optional) (I used around 250 g natural yoghurt)
1. Fry the tomatoes, potatoes and onion in butter until softened.
2. Add the beans, stock, herbs, rice, salt and pepper and bring to the boil.
3. Simmer for 30 mins or until the veg is tender.
4. Blend the soup and return to the pan (I like it a bit lumpy).
5. Stir in the cream/chilli sauce, etc and reheat. (I didn't reheat it - it was still piping hot!)