When I got home I got around to making my 'famous' onion marmalade. My flat now stinks of vinegar but it is worth putting up with for a few days as this stuff is SO delicious. It doesn't last very long - it gets eaten super-quick as it goes with everything. I love it with cheese in particular, however I think my favourite is with lamb burgers. I wonder how long this batch will last...
Here's the recipe if you fancy making it yourself:
1.5kg onions (red onions work very well), chopped
500ml red wine vinegar
a sprinkle of salt
2-3 teaspoons caraway seeds
- sprinkle the onions with a little salt in a large bowl. set aside.
- in a heavy based pan, add sugar, vinegar and caraway seeds. boil for 5 minutes.
- add the onions - i don't bother to wash off the salt - and cook on a low heat for at least 2 hours. sometimes i leave it on the low heat for about 4 hours, until it no longer tastes overly vinegary and has thickened.
- put into sterilised jars. as soon as it is cool you can eat it. yummy!
- keep opened jars in the fridge, unopened ones in a dark cupboard.