- 600g green or red gooseberries
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 300ml cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp green peppercorns
- 175g raisins
- 175g brown sugar
2. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thick.
3. Add the raisins, sugar, the remaining vinegar and a pinch of salt. Stir over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved, then simmer for up to 30 minutes, stirring frequently, until thick and syrupy. Remove from the heat, leave to cool, then store in the fridge for up to a month. Alternatively, pour the hot mixture into hot sterilised jars, seal and store in a cool, dark place.
I am storing two jars as a preserved chutney which should be ready in a few months - they may even make good Xmas presents. I kept one jar to go in the fridge to use straight away. I think it will probably have a bit of a kick to it.